Koeltehuis Farm’s core focus is on growing and harvesting avocado and macadamia nuts for local and international export. The farm is located in one of South Africa’s agricultural hubs, the subtropical region of the Mpumalanga Province, which is climatically ideal for cultivation. The avocados and macadamia nuts are grown over 70 hectares and 20 hectares of land respectively.
The Farm is situated adjacent to the recently upgraded Koeltehof Packers packhouse. Koeltehof Packers provides export services to multiple neighbouring farmers and the facility is responsible for packaging more than 2,5 million cartons of avocados each year for export to the UK and other European markets. Koeltehof Packers is world-class, proven in its strong and sustained relationships in the foreign markets to which it exports produce.
We grow the following avocado varieties:
- The Hass avocado, which is ovoid-shaped with rough skin which turns blackish-purple when it ripens. It has a creamy texture and a slightly nutty taste
- The Lamb Hass avocado, which is large and round with a rich dark skin
- The Carmen Hass avocado, which is roundish-oval with a shiny skin
- The Ryan avocado, which bears an egg shape with a slightly rough dark green skin
We also grow the following macadamia varieties:
- Beaumont, an evergreen variety
- 816, which have pale green leaves with large, lime husk and pale nuts
- 333, which are from a round tree with tough, pale green husks and thick shells
- A4, which have spiny, pointed leaves with thin nut shells and golden brown nuts